I have skipped 2 Fridays already. This means that 2 fashion posts were not written so I made sure I do not skip a third. As I did with the last 3 fashion posts, today I am writing facts about another animal-derived material. Today I am writing about some facts which you might not have known about animal leather.
- Cows, pigs, goats, sheep, exotic animals such as alligators, ostriches, kangaroos, dogs and cats are used for animal leather
- Leather is usually unlabelled which makes it hard to know if it is from a dog or a cat
- Most of the time leather is imported from countries like China or India where animal welfare laws are not enforced
- Tanning the leather causes pollution leading to workers involved dying of cancer
- Cruelty-free alternatives include Barkcloth, Cork, Pinatex, Recycled Ultrasuede, Glazed Cotton, Paper, Recycled PET Polyester, Degradable Polyurethane.
These are the facts I found about animal leather. Do you know of others? Your input could help others in choosing cruelty-free.