I was going to post a beauty post today. Since next week it’s St. Peter’s and St. Paul’s Day, in Malta better known as L-Imnarja I thought it makes more sense to share my Stuffat bla Fenek (Rabbit-less Stew) recipe. Especially since I don’t post content on public holidays. My family never really celebrated this feast in the traditional way. However, from what I could find L-Imnarja, derived from the Latin word Luminaria – lights, is also an agricultural feast in Malta.
Maltese go to our only forest in Malta, Buskett to celebrate this feast. Farmers show their harvest, horse races are organised, and rabbit meat is traditionally eaten on this day. As you can see there are already 2 animal welfare issues. However, as my blog is more related to cruelty on rabbits, I decided to tackle the rabbit meat issue today.
The way I thought of doing it is by sharing my veganised Rabbit Stew recipe, which I sometimes cook in Germany whenever I miss this traditional dish.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 carrots, chopped
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 400 ml vegetable stock
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ tsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrots, and potatoes until the garlic and onion are fragrant.
- Stir in the wine, bay leaf, nutmeg, tomato paste, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Add the peas and stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer until the potatoes are completely cooked through, about 1 hour.
- Serve as a sauce on cooked pasta.
- If preferred, top with grated vegan cheese.
Some like to add jackfruit or chickpeas instead as a rabbit meat alternative. However, I don’t mind it without. It all depends on personal preference.
This Imnarja, please save some rabbits from slaughter and opt for this rabbit-less stew instead of the meaty one.
I would love to know how you found my recipe. If you happen to have done some alterations, let me know too in the comments below. Thank you.