As you know before 2021, I was vetting brands just by looking at their animal testing policy and whether they sold in China. However, although my old method still filtered out the “bad” ones from the genuine ones, it still needed refinement. So from 2021 I started emailing the brands to know more and make sure I don’t list brands wrong. The rare time brands replied to my email, it all resulted in the brand’s cruelty-free status being more unclarified rather than cruelty-free. So I had the fear that I will end up listing all uncertified brands as not cruelty-free. However, the reply I got from Medik8 with regards to their cruelty-free status gave me hope.
Does Medik8 test on animals?
- “We never test on animals, nor do we hire any other company to perform tests on our behalf. ”
In short, Medik8 does not test on animals. They did not stop here, Medik8 provided me with detailed information on how they are cruelty-free, which I will be sharing at the end of this post.
Is Medik8 owned by a parent that is not cruelty-free?
Pangea Laboratories Ltd owns Medik8. There is currently no information on whether the parent company is or is not cruelty-free. Let’s hope for the best.
Is Medik8 certified cruelty-free?
- “We do not use cruelty-free certifications because we produce and sell within the EU, which has very strict no animal testing laws, which we actively support.”
Medik8 is not certified cruelty-free. However, since they produce and sell within the EU, they cannot by law test on animals and have no reason to do so. To tell you the truth it would have saved me some time if they got themselves certified. However, I am happy to read that they are very careful in being cruelty-free.
Does Medik8 sell cosmetics in China?
- “We do not sell Medik8 products in China, because China requires by law that all products sold in the country must be tested on animals. We passionately disagree with this law. We have never and will never test on animals, nor will we ever hire a company to perform any animal testing on our behalf.”
As they want to remain cruelty-free, Medik8 does not sell cosmetics in China. This shows that Medik8 take their ethical values seriously even if it means sacrificing the opportunity to make more profits.
Is Medik8 cruelty-free?
Although they did not answer my questions in order, their email convinced me that Medik8 is cruelty-free.
Is Medik8 vegan?
“As of July 2019, every Medik8 product we manufacture is 100% vegan-friendly.”
Since 2019, Medik8 is vegan. It is great to learn that they took the next ethical step to be animal-friendly. Please note that there might still be some old stock at certain salons or clinics that isn’t vegan. These include:
- Prepacked Kits
- Ultimate Recovery Intense – we have removed silk serica (a derivative from the silkworm) and replaced it with allantoin; the natural component in comfrey root. It promotes wound healing, speeds up cellular regeneration and is skin softening.
- Surface Radiance Cleanse – we have removed yoghurt extract. No replacement is necessary.
- White Balance Overnight Repair – we have removed Polyglyceryl-3 beeswax which was acting as an emulsifier and has replaced it with 2 new vegan-friendly emulsifiers.
- Advanced Night Restore – we have removed cholesterol and replaced it with a vegan version of cholesterol and phytosterol, a plant-derived version of cholesterol.
- Balance Moisturiser – we have removed non-vegan Lactobacillus and replaced it with vegan probiotics also known as ‘Lactobacillus Extract Filtrate’ but they are derived from vegetable-based fermentation. We still have vegan prebiotics in this formula too.
I am really happy to at least find the first uncertified brand for this year that is actually cruelty-free. Also happy on reading how careful they are to avoid part of animal testing at any stage of their product development and sale. Below please find their full reply so that you can understand why I consider Medik8 to be cruelty-free. If there is something that you need more info on, please let me know so that I can ask them for further clarification.
DISCLAIMER: This is not a pr, affiliate or sponsored post.
Source: Medik8’s reply as at 19.04.2021