The first time I tasted spaghetti carbonara was over a decade ago when our uncle and his family took my sister and me to Valletta. It was the first time that I tasted pasta with white sauce as my mum had always used tomato-based sauces with pasta. The second time I took carbonara was when we visited Rome a few years ago. Although I had spaghetti Carbona only twice in my life, I recently felt like attempting to create it with vegan alternatives. After comparing two non-vegan recipes, I came up with my take of a Creamy Vegan Spaghetti Carbonara recipe.
I emphasised on the word “creamy” as originally Spaghetti Carbonara does not contain cream. According to Wikipedia, cream is not usually used in most Italian dishes. As I know it creamy, I attempted to try replicating the creamy version first. Then I see how I can get closer to the authentic version
- 200g spaghetti
- 140ml oat cream
- 30 g grated vegan cheese
- 70g smoked tofu
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- ground black pepper
- pasta water
- Cook the spaghetti according to packet instructions.
- In a bowl mix the vegan cheese and oat cream.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add and fry the smoked tofu and a pinch of ground black pepper for 10 minutes.
- Lower the heat and quickly add the cooked pasta to the skillet.
- Toss the vegan cheese and oat cream mixture into the skillet.
- Add the pasta water and toss until the sauce is creamy.
- Serve immediately and season according to taste with salt, pepper and vegan cheese.
I would love to know how you found my recipe. If you happen to have done some alterations, let me know too in the comments below. Thank you.